Epic 15 Day Best Of South Africa Tour
Drakensberg, St.Lucia, Sodwana and Cape Town
Join us on this epic 15 day, fully comprehensive guided tour of South Africa. The tour includes some of the best locations, adventure activities and scenery in South Africa!!! Experience our rainbow nation like a local would. The tour is a mixture of jammed packed activities from scuba diving, hiking, wildlife safari, whale watching, sea kayaking and boat cruises combined with chilled out sightseeing and cultural tours along the way. No better way to experience the soul, scenery and diverse culture of this fantastic country.
Which locations do we visit?
- City of Johannesburg in Gauteng
- Drakensberg Mountains in KwaZulu Natal
- Golden Gate National Park and the town of Clarens in the Free State
- Kruger National Park in Mpumalanga
- Lucia, Isimangaliso Wetlands and Sodwana in KwaZulu Natal
- Cape Town, Hermanus and Stellenbosch in the Western Cape.
What activities are included in the tour?
- 3 day hiking experience in the Drakensberg Mountains. The hike is situated in the Cathedral Peak area and covers about 26km over the 3 days. This is an authentic South African Hiking experience. We camp in the mountains making use of caves or tents. A truly incredible hiking experience.
- 1 day in the Golden Gate National Park which includes a night at the quaint town of Clarens. We spend a few hours hiking among the incredible sandstone formations that has made this park famous among South Africans. We spend the night in the arty town of Clarens where we enjoy good country food and wine while we take in the vibe and soul of this small Free State town.
- 3 day safari in the world famous Kruger National Park. Need we say more? A vacation in South Africa is not complete without a proper safari. We have included over 15 hours of wild life viewing with our ranger in the reserve. The Kruger is home to an abundance of wild animals that include the Big 5 ( lion, elephant, Buffalo, Rhino and Leopard) as well as wildebeest, antelope, hippo, warthog, zebra, giraffe and a wild ping pong ball. And of course, the highlight of day is a roaring fire under the African stars with an ice cold beer.
- 2 day SCUBA diving adventure in Sodwana- A sub tropical paradise that is a haven to divers the world round. Sodwana is South Africa’s SCUBA diving capitol. We have included 4 incredible dives on the unspoiled tropical reefs that are home to an abundance of marine life including turtles, dolphins and whale sharks. The late afternoons include a ‘sundowner’ stroll on some of the best beaches in South Africa.
- 2 day tour of St. Lucia situated in the Isimangaliso Wetlands. Enjoy boat cruises into the estuary that’s home to hundreds of hippo, crocodile and Fish Eagles. An eco-tourists dream!!
- 2 day whale watching tour in Hermanus. The tour includes some incredible sea and land based tours. We have also included a beach hike, snorkeling with small shark species and a sea kayak with the whales.
- 3 day Cape Town adventure. In this time we will cover a lot of the major tourist attractions from Cape Point, the Penguins at Boulders, Table Mountain, the wine farms of Stellenbosch and Franschoek as well as a comprehensive Cape Town city and Peninsula Tour.
Where the journey begins?
We start of this epic 15 day tour of South Africa in Johannesburg.
The tour starts on a Wednesday.
What you need to know about each activity?
Before deciding on this tour, please familiarise yourself with the various activities and what they are all about. See below.
- You would need to have a moderate fitness level as you will be cover 26km over 3 days.
- The elevation gain is over 2200m.
- There are no paths in the Drakensberg. So a lot of single track hiking.
- The last 150m of the hike is pretty steep and exposed. We do set up safety ropes and a harness in case hikers feel the need for them. Nothing too hectic in hindsight.
- You would be required to hike with a backpack which would contain your clothing and sleeping bag.
- You would need the neccetay hiking equipment to survive in the mountains which includes a backpack, sleeping bag, hiking shoes, clothing and waterproof jacket.
- There are no toilets are showers on the hike. The Drakensberg is very remote. W set up camp in tents and caves. It s back to basics on this hiking adventure.
- If it rains we still continue with the hike. The only concern would be the last 150m of ascent to the summit. If we deem it too wet and slippery when we get to that point we may have to abort the last 150m.
- We have backpacks, sleeping bags, walking poles, gaiters and rain ponchos to hire.
SCUBA DIVING-IMPORTANT INFO
- You would need a recognised SCUBA diving qualification to participate in the diving activities. ( PADI, NAUI, SEAMASS)
- The diving depths vary from 12m to 24m.
- The dive sites are accessed through the surf and waves on a semi-inflatable boat. ( us South Africans like to call them ‘rubber ducks’). There is no shore access.
- Once at the dive sight, we kit-up on the boat and perform a backward roll of the boat into the sea.
- We have wetsuits, cylinders, masks and fins available to hire.
KRUGER PARK SAFARI-IMPORTANT INFO
- The Kruger is situated in a malaria area so the necessary precautions and medication will need to be taken
- The game drives are done in an open air game vehicle.
SEA KAYAKING-IMPORTANT INFO
- Sea Kayaking is a sea based activity that involves paddling in open water.
- The kayaks can take 2 people only
- Life jackets are compulsory
- We are not allowed within 150m of the whales
- We kayak for about 1.5 hours. Fitness and experience is not necessary. The guide will accompany you on the tour and ensure a safe passage through the ocean.
WHALE WATCHING-IMPORTANT INFO
- Whale watching is only done from July to lateNovember
|Number of Tickets||2 tickets @ R40 900 pp, 3 tickets @ R36 900 pp, 4 tickets @ R34 900 pp, 5 tickets @ R33 500 pp, 6 tickets @ R32 100 pp|
3 day/2 night hiking experience in the Drakensberg Mountains which includes park fees, guide fees, breakfast and dinner on the mountain, tents, cooking and eating utensils.
All return transfers to the Drakensberg.
1 nights’ accommodation in Clarens (star, sharing, breakfast included)
4 hour hike and tour of the Golden Gate National Park.
Transfers to Clarens and Golden Gate.
1 nights accommodation in Johannesburg (3 star, sharing, breakfast included)
Transfer to the Kruger from Johannesburg
2 nights accommodation in the Kruger Park (3 star, sharing, breakfast and dinner included)
1 x 3 hour late afternoon Kruger Park safari
1x 8 hour safari in the Kruger
2 nights’ accommodation in Sodwana (3 star, sharing, breakfast and dinner included)
4 sea dives to 2 Mile reef
1 nights’ accommodation in St. Lucia (3 star, sharing, breakfast and dinner included)
3 hour boat cruise of the St. Lucia estuary of the Isimangaliso Wetlands park
3 hour Nature drive through to Cape Vidal. (includes some chill out time on the beach)
Transfer from St. Lucia to Durban International Airport
Flight from Durban to Cape Town.
2 hour sea based whale watching from a luxury boat
1.5 hour sea kayak
3 hour hike on the beach including lunch
2 hour snorkelling tour in the Old Harbour. Includes a presentation at the Shark Conservancy in Hermanus.
2 nights’ accommodation in Hermanus. (3 star, sharing, breakfast included)
Transfers from Cape Town to Hermanus
2 nights’ accommodation in Cape Town (3 star, sharing, breakfast included)
1 nights’ accommodation in Stellenbosch (3 star, sharing, breakfast included)
3 day tours of Cape Town that include Cape Point, Peninsula tour, Hike up Table Mountain, Penguins at Boulders Beach, wine farm tour to Stellenbosch and Franschoek, Simons Town and Robben Island
Dinner on day 3
Lunch and dinner on Day 4
Lunch on Day 7,8,9,10
Dinner on Day 10, 11, 12, 13,14
Lunch and dinner on Day 11
An incredible combo tour that includes some fantastic activities from SCUBA diving, wildlife safaris, whale watching, boat cruises, eco-tourism, hiking as well as the best day tours and cultural experiences in South Africa
Cover over 3000km of distance by car and plane
Visit 5 of the 9 provinces of South Africa
Fully comprehensive guided tour
A unique and interactive travel experience
An active adventure of a lifetime
Day 1: Wednesday
The tour starts in Johannesburg. You will be met by your guide at 5am, load up the vehicle and take the 5 hour drive down to the Cathedral Peak Hotel. Upon arrival we will take a short break and prepare for the hike ahead. The hike covers about 5km over about 2 hours. We will set up camp in Shermans Cave. (Lunch and Dinner provided)
Distance covered: 5km
Duration: 2 hours
Altitude gain: 200m
Day 2: Thursday
After breakfast we start our ascent of the beautiful Orange Peal Gap. The height gain today is just over 1200m and is basically straight up. Yes today is going to be tough, but we promise you the reward will be well worth the effort. We aim to summit Cathedral and return back to camp. ( Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner provided)
Distance covered: 16km
Duration: 10 hours
Altitude gain: 1200m
Day 3: Friday
We wake up at 6:30am and take the 2 hour hike back down to the start of the hike. We then take the 2 hour drive through to the Golden Gate National Park. We will take a 2 hour hike in the sandstone formations before we check into the hotel at about 4pm in Clarens. You will have the rest of the day to explore the town of Clarens.
(Breakfast and lunch provided)
Distance covered: 5km
Duration: 2 hours
Day 4: Saturday
We wake up at 7am, have breakfast and enjoy a 6km hike in the Golden Gate Mountains-An easy hike today. We aim to be back Clarens again by 12pm and on the road back to Johannesburg by 1:30 pm after lunch the drive back takes 4 hours. We will drop you at you’re a guest house in Johannesburg by 5:30pm. We make use of a guest house on a Golfing Estate just outside of Johannesburg.
Included toady: breakfast
Day 5: Sunday
Leave Johannesburg at 6am. Drive to Kruger. The drive takes about 5 hours and we arrive by about 12:30pm ( 3 hour late afternoon safari)
Included: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, accommodation, gate fees, permits, 3 hour late afternoon safari.
Day 6: Monday
Full day Safari in Kruger.
Included: Breakfast, lunch, dinner, accommodation, gate fees, permits, 7 hour safari the Kruger
Day 7: Tuesday
Drive to Sodwana. Takes about 4 hours. Beach tour and drive scheduled today.
Included: Breakfast, dinner, accommodation, gate fees, permits
Day 8: Wednesday
2 dives scheduled for today. Finished diving by 1pm. Rest of the afternoon free time.
Included: Breakfast, dinner, accommodation, 2 dives to 2 mile reef,gate fees, permits, beach transfers
2 dives scheduled for today. Rest of the afternoon free time.: Breakfast, dinner, accommodation, 2 dives to 2 mile reef,gate fees, permits, beach transfers
Day 10: Friday
Drive to St. Lucía (iSimangaliso Wetland Park) Takes about 2 hours. After lunch we have included a 2 hour river cruise to see hippo and crocodile as well as a nature drive through the national park,
Included: Breakfast, accommodation, gate fees, permits, 2 hour river cruise and 2 hour nature drive through to Cape Vidal
Day 11: Saturday
Drive to Durban, The drive takes about 2.5 hours. There is a 10H30 flight to Cape Town. So we leave St. Lucia at 6:30am.Flight from Durban to Cape Town. Flight arrives at 12H40.
City tour from 2pm finishing in Table Mountain (sunset).
Included: Breakfast, accommodation, city tour, flight cost
Day 12: Sunday
Drive to Hermanus, whale watching. 2 hour sea based tour followed by a 1.5 hour land based tour. Accommodation in Hermanus.
Day 13: Monday
We include a 1.5 hour sea kayak with the whales and a 3 hour beach hike.
Included: Breakfast, accommodation in Hermanus, gate fees, permits, 1.5 hour land based tour, sea kayaking.
Day 14: Tuesday
Drive from Hermanus to Cape Town at 7am. Then on to a full day tour that includes Chapmans Peak – Cape of Good Hope – Penguins at Boulders Beach and the Peninsula. Tour starts at 9am and finishes at about 4:30pm. Accommodation in Cape Town
Included: Breakfast, accommodation, All Cape of good hope entrance fees, Penguins entrance fees, Permits and other entrance fees, lunch.
Full day wine farm tour in Stellenbosch and Franschoek. Accommodation in Stellenbosch. Includes breakfast, lunch, all wine farm entrance fees.
Day 15: Wednesday
5 hour hike up Table Mountain. Accommodation in Cape Town. Afternoon to chill on Camps Bay Beach
Day 16: Thursday
We transfer you back to Cape Town International Airport.