Best Drakensberg slackpacking adventures!
So you’re looking at hiking in the Drakensberg mountains? But you’ve seen the smelly, undernourished and physically broken hikers coming off the mountain before. You’ve heard about the hectic conditions on the escarpment above 3000m. You’ve see the poor hikers bent over with pot and rope laden backpacks. You’ve heard that the food eaten is or purely functional reasons and does not include that juicy steak you had hoped for. And no hot shower at the end of the day? No ways. You want no part of such savage activities.
But….you love hiking, the mountains and the allure of freedom and adventure that the Drakensberg offers. You also love your creature comforts like a bed, good meal around a roaring fire and maybe beer or 10 just for good measure. Congratulations, you are a confirmed ‘slackpacker’.
So what is slackpacking?
Basically the concept was borne for those travellers who have a love for hiking but want to experience the mountains in relative comfort. Maybe your fitness and endurance levels are not quite ready for a 3 day hike covering 45km. Maybe you are not up for carrying a backpack laden with sleeping bags, clothing and food. Maybe the thought of no shower for a couple of days is just to gross for words. Maybe the thought of sleeping on rocky, uncomfortable ground is a definite no-no.
Slackpacking-How we roll
We hear you!!! We have created an action packed Drakensberg experience that includes all the creature comforts. The Drakensberg is bursting with adventure activities. We have added some serious adventure spice to our bubbling pot of Drakensberg Slackpacking stew that we are sure will appeal to your tantalizing taste for adventure.
What are the pros of a slackpacking adventure?
- No heavy backpacks
- Hikes and activities are designed for travellers of all fitness levels
- You do not have to be super fit
- The tour includes a variety of activities from hiking to abseiling to quadbiking
- We make use of a base camp with beds and bathroom facilities
- Proper traditional meals around a roaring fire
Our tours begin and end in Johannesburg
(SELF DRIVE OPTIONS AVAILABLE)
- An exhilarating and scenic canopy slide above the forest. The zipline covers 900m and consists of 7 forested platforms. This is the fastest official zipline tour in SA!!!! So make sure you pack spare pair of underpants.
- King Swing-this is a 17m freefall and swing from a suspension bridge. Getting to the start of the swing is also pretty cool as it entails a 21 metre spiral staircase climb around a massive tree. Pretty cool if you asked us.
- The flying trapeze-Now what is that you may be wondering? Well it basically means you have to throw yourself of a platform into a net. And if you are up for it you can try the backflips dismount. Good luck with that one.
At about 17H00, we will then pile you back into the vehicle and take the 30 minute drive through to the Amphitheatre backpackers-our humble abode for the next 2 nights. We get you booked in and you get to chill for the rest of the night. Dinner will be served at about 20H00. Usually a traditional South African Braai ( BBQ) followed by a beer or 10.
We should be done with the hike by 17H00. Then it’s back to the Amphitheatre backpackers for a traditional South African Potjie, swim, and beer or 10 around the fire.
Incredible Drakensberg Scenery
Action packed activities to suite all types of fitness levels
Fun-filled adventure with like-minded individuals
No hassle of organising yourself
Super chilled 3 days
Authentic South African slackpacking experience
Return transfers Johannesburg
2 Nights’ accommodation in a 2 star travellers lodge ( sharing)
All park fee permits
All breakfasts, lunches and dinners ( excluding breakfast and lunch on travel days)
14km Tugela Gorge Hike on Saturday with abseiling
2 hour hike on Sunday with Abseil
Adventure package on Friday ( canopy slide, king swing and flying trapeze)
Basic first aid kit
Guide for the duration of the tour
Dedicated Trip Planner
Flights and airport taxes
Items of a personal nature
Visas for South Africa
Health requirements (if any)
Optional but highly recommended travel and medical insurance.
Snacks, personal medicine
Meals & drinks not specified