Hear it on the grapevine-Join us on a Hermanus Wine tour. A relaxing wine filled experience
Combine wine, rugged South African coastline and the best the Western Cape has to offer as you journey with us from the stunning whale capital of the world, Hermanus to the epic wine country known as the Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. With breathtaking mountain and coastal scenery and over 15 vineyards, the fertile land of Hermanus are a wine lovers paradise. You will enjoy the best wine tastings, amazing cuisine and a wealth of history. If you’re looking for an unforgettable Hermanus Wine tour for all five of your senses, look no further.
Where does the Hermanus wine tour start?
Our tour starts and ends in Hermanus. Our expert wine guide will pick you up from your hotel/guest house or whichever location within the town you choose.
What time does the wine tour start?
Pick up time is 10am.
What is the duration of the tour?
7 hours. We should have you back in Hermanus again by 5pm. Depending on how much wine you drink.
Why you will love this Hermanus wine tour?
- Experience the Hemel-en-Aarde ( Heaven and Earth) wine county the relaxed way – with plenty of breaks for tastings along the way.
- Be inspired by nature as you wind through the mountainous valleys and coastal roads with a guide that knows the vineyards inside-out, all you have to do is enjoy the journey.
- Swap wine country for dramatic ocean views as we spend time on the cliffs looking out for Southern Right Whales. Hermanus is known as the whale capital of the world. An added bonus to to the wine tasting experience. ( the whales migrate from Antarctica and arrive in June, departing again in late November)
- The only thing better than the landscapes you’ll see and wine you’ll taste are the conversations you’ll have along the way, whether it’s the insights from your guide or stories from the group.
- Taste local produce at its finest – from legendary wines that include Southern Right, Hamilton Russell, Bosman Hermanus, Creation and Whalehaven, to the freshest Hermanus cuisine.
The wine tasting gem of the Western Cape
Hermanus is the ultimate destination for a wine tasting tour, with the most famous appellations in the world drawing visitors from South Africa and abroad to visit its charming city center, markets, art galleries and the stunning wine producing valley known as Hemel-en-Aarde. A tour of the wine country is a fabulous way to discover the authentic heart of the Western Cape region as you will head off the beaten track to the smaller hamlets; taste fabulous regional cuisine in quaint restaurants; meet quirky winemakers in their small estates; enjoy gourmet experiences from impala steaks to artisan cheese tastings; and visit some stunning attractions in the area.
Types of wine found in the Hermanus area?
Hermanus is situated about 100km north of Cape Town. The unique climate and fertile soil has led to the creation of some epic wine selections. The most common cultivars, or grape types are of French, German and nothern Italian origin. These would include your Sauvignon Blanc, Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Shiraz, Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon. Hermanus is also home to the Pinotage, a South African creation made by grafting the Pinot Noir and Cinsaut together.
Wine not your thing?Looking for other tours in Hermanus?
Other tour activities we offer include
- Land and sea based whale watching
- Water sport activities that include SCUBA diving, surfing and kayaking
- Wine tours
- Hiking and walking tours
- Great variety of cuisine dining venues
- Art Gallery tours
- Mountain biking
- shark cage diving
- Abalone farm tours
- Multi day tours
- Custom made tours-contact us to create tour just for you.
- Free pick up from any centrally located area in Hermanus
- Transport in an airconditioned vehicle
- Bottled Water
- Wine tastings at 4 selected wine farms in the Hemel-en-Aarde valley and Walker Bay areas.
- Scenic drive to some of the iconic attractions in Hermanus which includes the town of Stanford, a drive into the mountains at Rotary Way for a stunning view of the valley and Bot Rivier.
- Lunch ( we will stop at one of the selected wine farms for lunch at about 2pm)
- Extra wine tastings