Hermanus Beach Hike from De Kelders to Grotto
The Hermanus Beach Hike in a nutshell
As the saying goes, not all those who wander are lost. And that’s certainly true of those in search of serenity while visiting Hermanus. From the pristine dunes to the ocean, the Hermanus Beach hike is packed with incredible views. The hike covers 18km covers some of the best coastal scenery with great photo opportunities. The hike starts at DeKelders and finishes at the Grotto Beach where an ice-cold beer or glass of local wine awaits. The hike is fully guided and includes a pickup, the transfer to the start of the hike, lunch on the beach and the drop-off at your guest house in Hermanus. We have many other Hermanus Day tours to choose from, but this is up there with the best.
The hikes starts at DeKelders and follows continues through the Walker Bay Area to the Grotto beach.
Duration and distance?
14-20km taking about 5 hours to complete (with a stop for lunch). There is an option for a 14km hike as well.
Hiking times and availability ?
The hikes are down daily. The timing all depends on the tide. We need plan it around the low tide.We will be able to advise you.
What would you need for the beach hike?
- Hiking boots or even sandals ( although most of the hiking is done on the beach, we may ‘wander’ off into the bush or odd cave along the way.
- Rain gear ( just in case…you never know when the weather will change.We will of course check the predictions the day before and let you know
- Something to swim in. Always nice to take a splash in the ocean on a hot day.
- Enough energy and stamina to hike 14km.
Leave all the hike logistics to us
All you need to do is hike, drink, eat,take photos and relax.We handle the rest-
- Our guide will meet you at your hotel/guesthouse in Hermanus.
- We will arrange the drive through to the start of the beach hike at De Kelders
- You will be accompanied by one of our hiking guides for the entire hike.
- We provide backpacks for you to use if you need one
- We will provide 2 litres of bottled water per hiker.
- All the entry permits are taken care of by us
- Our guide will provide a delicious picnic style lunch on the beach
- Upon completion of the hike, we will make sure you get dropped off back at your hotel/guesthouse
Things to consider?
There are a few rocky outcrop that need to be navigated around. For this reason we plan the hike for low tide.
Sometimes the Klein River mouth opens up to the Ocean. Crossing it at high tide could pose a challenge and would involve some swimming. BUT STRESS NOT. If this is the case, we have inflatable boats on standby to assist.
Your fitness levels. Although not as strenuous as a Drakensberg hike,Please do not attempt this beach hike if you feel you do not have the fitness levels to handle a 14-16km hike.
Weather conditions:it can get hot in the summer months. And similarly, it can get cold and wet in the winter months.Please ensure you are comfortable with any of these scenarios.
Ankle problems: hiking on the beach can pose some problems if you have ankle or foot problems. Although most of the sand is compacted (especially at the water level) 14km hiking on sand can cause pain.
- hotel/guest house pickup
- Transfer to the start of the hike
- lunch on the beach
- bottled water