Explore the incredible Cradle of Humankind, Maropeng and Sterkfontein Caves
Join us as we go back in time on this incredible Cradle of Humankind Day Tour from Johannesburg.
The first part of the Cradle of Humankind Day Tour includes a 2 hour underground boat ride through the Maropeng exhibition. The journey will take you on an interactive discovery into the four elements of nature and how they were crucial in the formation of the various landscapes, people and plants that are found in the Cradle of Humankind. The second part of the itinerary includes a 1 hour underground guided tour of the famous Sterkfontein Caves where the oldest human fossil was found.
Cradle of Humankind Day Tour-only 45minutes from Johannesburg
Maropeng and the Sterkfontein caves are situated within the Cradle Humankind. The drive from Johannesburg takes about 45 minutes. Although we are going to be spending a few hours at each venue, we will also be taking a scenic drive through the Cradle where you will get an opportunity to take in the beautiful landscape and open space that South Africa is famous for. An incredible day tour for the whole family.
Cradle of Humankind, Maropeng and Sterkfontein Caves Day Tour
Cradle of Humankind Day Tour that includes the Maropeng
The Maropeng centre is an award winning attraction and is officially the centre of the Cradle of Humankind. The Cradle is one of eight World Heritage sites in South Africa. So what is the tour about? Basically we take you on a journey of discovery to learn more about the origins of humans. The tour takes place in what is known as the Tumulus. This is a unique piece of architecture and resembles an ancient burial mound. The tour is conducted on a boat road through the structure and incorporates the various stages of Earth’s creation. The final part of the tour includes an exhibition that illustrates the various stages of human evolution. Although the tour is primarily focused on the origins of us humans, it is also an inspiration for its visitors to be more aware of the impact we are having on nature and the environment.
The Sterkfontein caves
Okay so now we are going to bring out the big words. Make us sound clever. Sterkfontein caves, which is also situated in the Cradle of Humankind is the richest hominid fossil site in the world!! So as you can imagine, the caves fast became the most popular palaeoanthropological dig in the world by the Indiana Jones archaeological type folk. It is has also become the longest and most continuous dig spanning back to 1935.
The 1 hour guide tour takes you abut 200m underground into the heart of the Sterkfontein caves. You will be flabbergasted by the incredible limestone formations. You will feel like you have been mystically turned into a dwarf and find your self in the caves depicted in the Lords of the Rings trilogy. There are a few ‘tight’ passage ways to manoeuvre through but nothing too hectic. The last part of the tour also involves a walk up 200 steps to the exit of the cave.
When is the tour?
We run the tours daily.There are 2 pick up times:
- Pick up at 9am from you hotel.
- We the take the 45 minute drive through to the Maropeng Exhibition centre.
- At 10am we take you on a 2 hour guided boat ride and tour of the facility
- At 12pm we take the 20 minute drive through to the Sterkfontein Caves. Upon arrival you will have 30 minutes free for a cup if coffee or refreshments.
- At 1pm we start the guide underground waking tour of the caves. The tour ends at about 2pm.
- We aim to leave the Sterkfontein caves by 2:30pm. We then a drive through the cradle of humankind on route to your hotel. Back in your hotel by about 3:30pm.
- Pick up and drop off from any hotel within Johannesburg, OR Tambo airport or Petoria
- Return transfers to the Cradle of humankind and the various venues
- All entrance fees
- 1 hour guided underground walk of the Sterkfonetein caves
- 2 hour guided boat ride and tour of the Maropeng exhibition centre
- Bottled water
- Send 5 hours in the famous Cradle of Humankind
- 1 hour underground tour of the Sterkfontein cave
- 2 hour tour of the Maropeng exhibition
- Enjoy the scenery of the Cradle as we drive through it on route to the various venues
- Fully guided experience